Recipe: Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
These were the cupcakes we made last week. Here’s the recipe. Tip: Better to make mini-cupcakes as these are on the sweet and heavy side!
Yield: 12 cupcakes
8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
1/2 c bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 c cocoa powder
3/4 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
2/4 c granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine: butter, chocolate, cocoa in a heatproof bowl. Melt over saucepan with simmering water. Set aside to cool.
3. Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a small bowl.
4. In another bowl: whisk eggs; add sugar, vanilla, salt. Add cooled chocolate mixture until combined. Sift one-third of flour mixture over chocolate mixture until combined. Whisk in sour cream until combined. Sift remaining flour mixture until batter is homogenous and thick.
5. Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Bake until done, 18-20 minutes. To test if it’s done: insert a toothpick into center of cupcakes: it should come out clean.
6. Cool cupakes until cool enough to handle, around 15 minutes. Lift out of baking pan, and cool to room temperature before icing, around 30 minutes.
Peanut Butter Frosting
1 c confectioner’s sugar
1 c creamy peanut butter
5 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c heavy cream
Place the sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in electric mixer. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy. Add cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.
Thinking of making red velvet cupcakes this week with Drea and Cathy. What other cupcakes should I try?